Day 1



First trip out, before second semester of my Freshman year began, I found myself at El Con Mall.  The centrally located mall had two record stores: Record Bar and Zip's.  Record Bar had a better selection of 12" singles and imports while Zip's, a local chain, had better prices. Didn't even know there was a 12" for "I Would Die 4 U" until I saw it that day. Bought it for $4.99 plus tax.  The record had a much larger, 6" center label than any other record I've owned.  The 10:00 extended version of "I Would Die 4 U" was recorded with band members of Prince's opening act on the Purple Rain Tour, Sheila E. with everyone grabbing extended solos making for a radically different version of the song from it's barely three minutes on the album version.  The non-album b-side was an extended version of "Another Lonely Christmas".  I had the 45 with single versions of these songs for about two months before finding this "surprise" 12". Turns out it was released in late December 1984.

NOW:
The Record Bar and Zip's are both too long gone but El Con Mall still exists. Nearly two-thirds of the mall was razed and rebuilt in the early 2000s with a Target, Home Depot and Wal-Mart replacing former anchors Montgomery Ward, Dillard's and Levy's.

RECORD STATUS:
Still in collection.  My Prince collection has always enjoyed  protected status.

***The Extended Versions of both songs are currently unavailable on Spotify and YouTube***

record scans courtesy of eil.com

The TOTAL TALLY:
records bought: 1
    money spent: $5.34

1 comment:

  1. This was always a favorite of mine from the Purple Rain soundtrack. The extended dance version was perfect for partying. I also am a big fan of the B-side, a very touching piece. Good choice to kick off the new blog.

    ReplyDelete

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd