Day 15



Don't know how or why as this was still in the time of punching in the prices manually on the otherwise electronic cash register rather than scanning barcodes but somehow the guy at Loco overcharged me by punching in the price of The Firm album twice.  Neither of us caught it until after he ran the slider across the Visa card so it made an imprint and he asked if it was okay if he issued a store credit voucher.  "Sure."
  • Being a Led Zep fan and a Bad Co. fan meant I would love The Firm and I do.  "Radioactive" and "Satisfaction Guaranteed" both are still in regular rotation.  There is a slim chance that this is the "Radioactive" twelve inch single - I haven't peeked ahead to see if The Firm pops up again in 1985 but I do know I had both that single and the parent album.
  • Had tickets to U2's upcoming March 1st show at Compton Terrace, so I felt the need to upgrade from my dubbed off the radio cassettes of their first two albums.  Recording the albums on the same brand tape on the same tape deck was like night and day quality wise.  I rarely recorded albums off the radio after that and I'm pretty sure the local rock station ceased their Six Pack Sundays (where they played six albums in their entirety) shortly thereafter.  Or maybe it was much sooner.  I remember reading in Billboard that record companies were trying to force other stations that were doing this to stop.  Home taping was killing music.  If this was true, I was a gleefully accidental serial killer.
  • Mick Jagger's "Just Another Night" was co-produced by Mick and Bill Laswell, one of my favorite producers.  It seemed to me to be a logical progression from 1983's "Undercover Of The Night" so I snatched it up.  Or maybe this was the album She's The Boss.  I guess we'll see. [UPDATED April 14th - Day 32:  Today's purchase was indeed the She's The Boss album.  Day 32 saw me pick up the "Just Another Night" 12".]
  • The single "Days Are Numbers (The Traveller)" had crept into my head head around this time in 1985 so I picked up the parent album Vulture Culture.  Couldn't name another song off that album if my life depended on it though I still enjoy that single.

The Firm - The Firm (1985)
Boy - U2 (1980)
October - U2 (1981)
"Just Another Night" (12") - Mick Jagger (1985)
Vulture Culture - Alan Parsons Project (1984)


I was surprised to find The Firm, Boy and MIck Jagger's album She's The Boss still on the vinyl wall.  Sadly, Mick's "Just Another Night" remix doesn't seem to hold a place in my collection anymore.  Both October and Vulture Culture reside in the compact disc library still spread across three rooms here at The Hideaway.


The TOTAL TALLY:
records bought: 66
    money spent: $368.98

3 comments:

  1. Herc not a fan of Parsons' first single from 'V.C.', "Let's Talk About Me"? I heard that song all over the radio in my neck of the woods, and bought the 45 as it crept up the Hot 100... Surprised at the time that it never reached the Top 40. Also picked up the singles for "Just Another Night" (Loved it then / Love it now), and "Radioactive" (Thumbs-down then / Thumbs-up now) soon after they cracked the '40'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because you asked Dirky, HERC went back and listened to "Let's Talk About Me" just right now and it did sound somewhat familiar. I'm thinking the single version probably edited that long intro down and perhaps cut some of that radio chatter that appears throughout the song. Interesting that it missed the Top 40 as you poiinted out and even more interesting that it was the only song to peak at #56 in 1985. If you haven't done so already, please pencil the track in for the shortlist of 1985 candidates for your Radio Daze Revisited series.

      MRS. HERC is the preeminent Alan Parsons Project fan here at The Hideaway and she LOVES her some "Let's Talk About Me" and ranks both Ammonia Avenue and Vulture Culture among her favorite APP albums.

      You probably knew this Dirkster but HERC had to look it up: David Paton, the vocalist on "Let's Talk About Me" is the guy who composed and sang one of my all-time favorite songs which was coincidentally produced by none other than Alan Parsons.

      Delete
    2. Although I was aware that Alan Parsons had produced Pilot and their "Magic" hit, I did NOT know the connection extended beyond that. I've always readily identified frequent Parsons vocalists like Eric Woolfson & Lenny Zakatak, but for whatever reason, I'd never given much thought to who sang "Let's Talk About Me"... Thanks for the enlightenment, Herc-apedia!

      Delete

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd