Day 16

  • I absolutely loved Boy George's voice back then.  (My fondness has since been tempered not by his later works but by time and other voices that demand my attention, whether I want to give it or not.)  His group's first two albums were still in heavy rotation in my car's cassette player when the third album was released in late 1984.  The lead single "The War Song" was lame but I was hopeful that there would some gems on the album when I bought it on this day twenty-nine years ago.  Unfortunately, there were none.
  • The Jesse Johnson Revue's single B-side was playing when I walked into Zip's.  It sounded a lot like Prince so I asked who it was as they were displaying the back of the record's cover (below) on the Now Playing shelf above the cash register because that was what was being played.  They told me it was the twelve inch of "Can You Help Me" so I walked over and picked up a copy. (See Day 64 for that story)
  • Jesse Johnson was the first ex-member of The Time to release an album when his Jesse Johnson's Revue dropped in March 1985.  (Other refugees from The Time, namely The Family and Morris Day, released their albums in September and October that same year.)  While Jesse brought nothing particularly new to the Minneapolis Sound with his debut, he came up with enough good songs that sounded like Prince or The Time to score four charting songs on the Black Singles chart and two Top 20 singles on the Hot Dance/Disco Sales chart.  I may be crazay but I still like this album better than any of Johnson's latter releases.
Waking Up With The House On Fire - Culture Club (1984)
Jesse Johnson's Revue - Jesse Johnson's Revue (1985)

The Culture Club album exists in the collection on three CDs.  "Free World" remains on the Vinyl Wall and can be found on two CDs in the stash as well.


Will write more about these albums in a few weeks after they've arrived.  What strikes me as I look at the cover art is the similarity between the Elvis and Rick Springfield albums.  Oh and I wonder what the other album ordered was and why didn't I write the title or at least the artist down.

Elvis' Gold Records Volume 5 - Elvis Presley (1984)
Hard To Hold - Rick Springfield (1984)
This Is The Big Band Era - various artists (1971)


Regular viewers know I've always been a TDK SA-90 man.  I used to buy them in bricks of 10 at Price Club.  Still, I wasn't above trying something new and these supposedly higher end Normal bias tapes, the AD-X90s, were the new kids on the block.  Paying $3.99 a tape was something new to me and seems crazy when now I'm paying less than twenty-five cents a disc for blank-CD-Rs.  After years or stubbornly buying blank Music CD-Rs (which had a surcharge built-in to appease the RIAA and assuage my copyright breaking guilt) at Price Club and then Costco and feeding them to my Philips CD recorder, I actually burned the first one out and had to buy another one.  Then I got a PC with a CD-R burner and mister, that's all she wrote.


The TOTAL TALLY:
records bought: 68
    money spent: $381.80

1 comment:

  1. I too had that Culture Club album, bought for "The War Song" (which I liked), and found the rest of the album to be lacking. I will add it to my digital library in the future - just to be complete - but I am not rushing. I always enjoyed Jesse Johnson. Oh, and I remember spending big money on cassettes to make mixed tapes. My how times have changed.

    ReplyDelete

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd