Day 85

I haven't put too fine a point on it but 1985 was not a good year for me. It should have been and probably could have been much better had I made a few different choices. Music kept me sober and somewhat sane. Some of the most relentlessly and irresistibly positive music from 1984-1985 had been that of Howard Jones and I had amassed his two EPs and two albums up to that point. In less than week from this day back in 1985, I would attend his concert and it would mark the beginning or turnaround of my life up to that point. Basically, I came out of my funk and stopped beating myself up for losing my academic scholarship, for sabotaging more than one serious romantic relationship by having more than one serious romantic relationship at a time and for quitting my job in a short-sighted manner so that I had to swallow my pride and ask for it back.
There was no warning label on the specially priced maxi single of Prince's "America" in 1985, no indicator on what I would find until I pulled the record out and saw it, barely hidden in the paisley intricacies of the label: 21:46.  A non-LP B-side, "Girl", in its own seven and half minute remix but an A-side nearly three times as long? I just had to hear it. And that night, I fell asleep with the seemingly endless band jam on repeat and it was still playing in the morning when I awoke. 

"America" b/w "Girl" (12") - Prince

Of course this big bad boy is still on The Vinyl Wall.




Day 86
will be
October 29th

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd