Day 90

So if the arrow above didn't make it clear, I wrote these purchases down on the wrong day - I actually picked them up on Sunday, November 17, 1985.  Had message that there was a package for me at the apartment office - turns out it had been there for a week.  Da Da Da.
Trio was a German ..um.. trio who had a crazy unlikely dance hit with their song "Da Da Da I Don't Love You You Don't Love Me Aha Aha Aha" which is not be confused with George Kranz's equally wacky hit "Din Daa Daa (Trommeltanz)". I ordered the album with a certificate from Columbia House in case the album was lame. In other news, the album was lame.


A quick trip to PDQ meant less than four hours and on this day I spent nearly all day going through every bin except the 45s. Got there shortly after they opened at Noon and left just before they closed at six - remember, it was a Sunday. Found two records I didn't know I needed:
  • Little Steven is Steven Van Zandt aka Miami Steve, Springsteen's partner in crime. I had heard the song "Forever" one day on the radio in early 1983 and hadn't heard it or thought about it since. Seemed to recall that Disciples was in the artist name so I took a $2.99 chance that this was it and was pleasantly surprised when I got home that it was. Little did I know that Little Steven was about to blow up with his Artists United Against Apartheid project.  "Ahhhh, Sun City...."
  • One of the craziest memories I have of my Texas Grandpa is when "Ring My Bell" came on the radio in his truck. He never sang along or even nodded his head to music but he was Seventies Redneck Country to the bone, even got fired from his job after almost thirty years for punching a man - and knocking him out - who cut in front of him in the cafeteria. So anyway, "Ring My Bell" is on and I swear I could hear him humming along. The first signs of musical life from a a man who did not normally display any such reaction to music. When we got to our destination and exited the truck, I could distinctly hear him humming the "ding dong ring it" part. In 1985, I finally picked up the 12" version of this, one of my favorite disco songs for $1.99.
Trio and Error - Trio (1983)
Men Without Women - Little Steven and the Disciples Of Soul (1982)
"Ring My Bell" (12") - Anita Ward (1978)

All three records still reside on the Vinyl Wall.


The last post for November, Day 91, will be November 26th.  Then there are six for the whole month of December and we're done.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I hadn't thought of that Men Without Women album in years, not even when I'd see Little Steven as Silvio on The Sopranos. I heard it once when it was first released over at my buddy Jim's house and haven't heard it since. Will be giving it another listen soon - thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd