Day 91

The storied mythos behind Def Jam will tell you how it started in Rick Rubin's dorm room. Yadda yadda yadda. I'm here to tell you for me it started with LL Cool J's "I Need A Beat" 12". That was DJ001. The next release was DJ002 by the Beastie Boys, an independent hardcore punk band who made the full-on transition to hip-hop with "Rock Hard", which featured their lazy, not yet fully formed rhyming over a drum machine and the stone cold (unauthorized) riff-rock of AC/DC's "Back In Black". The owner of Al Bum's knew me well or least feigned recognition whenever he saw me. I had been dropping dough in his store since my second week of school down the road back in 1981. He had given me several free records, mostly radio station promos, over the years but the one I am most grateful for is "Rock Hard". I was about to leave the store that day empty-handed when he asked if I was still still into "crap music". I asked for clarification which was one of his phrases whenever I asked him a question about an artist or an album. He said "Ya know, that rap music." Then he handed me a maroon colored album and said "Please get this outta my store." That record was "Rock Hard".

"Rock Hard" (12") - Beastie Boys (1985)

Two copies of this legendary single on the Vinyl Wall like any DJ should have.

Peace to you Al and MCA.

Day 92 will be Decmber 2nd.
See ya in December.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd