Day 94


Yeah, yeah, yeah.  Todd Rundgren is a pop music genius.  At some point during the span of 1982-1985, I attended a particular laser show at the campus planetarium - really loud music in the dark with pretty lights, I'm there - and Utopia's percussion-heavy "Hammer In My Heart" was played. Fell in love with the song but once my goody two shoes contact high wore off, so did my interest in finding the song. Don't ever remember hearing it on the radio or seeing a video for it on the MTV thingy that all the kids were raving about back then. But as I have no memory of who gave this to me, I'm gonna call it an early Xmas gift and leave it at that. The album itself is unique in my memory because although there were two records in the sleeve, it's not technically a full double album. That second album is labelled Side Three on both sides and features the same five songs on both sides. "Hammer In My Heart" is buried in the middle of Side Two which also has five songs, as does Side One. Also it's from 1982, the Greatest Year Ever In Music. I later bought the album on CD when Rhino issued it in 1989 and then again in 2000 when Unidisc put it out with a then unknown to me Dance Mix of my jam, which featured a whole extra minute of drum delirium. I usually almost always pair it with Todd's even bouncier drum orgy "Bang The Drum All Day", which was also released in 1982.

Utopia - Utopia (1982)

Boy howdy, was I pleased to find the album still on the Vinyl Wall, right in between USA For Africa and Van Halen's Diver Down.


And then there were three...
Day 95 is December 21st

1 comment:

  1. I bought this album in 1982 not for "Hammer in My Heart" but for the infectious "Feet Don't Fail Me Now" which had one of the more bizarre videos appearing on the MTV thingy. You can check it out here: http://youtu.be/KSMR9CfDioM

    The album placed at #71 on my list of top 82 albums of 1982.

    ReplyDelete

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd