Day 21



As fellow music buff Dirk pointed out in his comment on yesterday's post, I was on a record buying binge that first week of March 1985 with March 7 being the fourth consecutive day I made a purchase. Why?  Could have been Spring Break, girl problems, midterms, income tax refund - I honestly can't remember.
  • "Dirty Laundry" had been a favorite for a couple of years but I never got around to buying my own copy of the I Can't Stand Still album because a friend had one I borrowed.  For whatever reason this day, I decided to buy the 45.  But it wasn't just any 45, oh no - it was the Elektra/Asylum Spun Gold 45 with back to back hits.
  • One of my favorite groups ever is KC & the Sunshine Band.  I had two of their albums and two 45s prior to picking the Greatest Hits album up just to get "Please Don't Go"the roller-skating slow jam from my junior high days which, at that point, were barely five years gone.  An unexpected bonus was the fact that the album contained the full-length album versions of every song rather than the 45 edits.
  • I already had both Yaz albums (Upstairs At Eric's and You And Me Both) and the "Situation" twelve inch when I stumbled across the "Nobody's Diary" single.  The fact that it had an extended remix of "State Farm", one of my favorite album cuts, was just a sweet bonus.

"Dirty Laundry" b/w "I Can't Stand Still" (45) - Don Henley (orig. 1982; reissue 1984)
Greatest Hits - KC & the Sunshine Band (1980)
"Nobody's Diary" b/w "State Farm" (12") - Yaz (1983)


Proud to report that for the second straight day, all of today's records still reside in my collection - those are my scans of the Henley 45.  Even better, all the songs contained on these records also reside in the CD Annex here at The Hideaway.

Reminder: most images can embiggened by clicking on them


************************************************************************************************************

From 1981-1986, I wrote down every 12" single, EP and vinyl album I acquired on 3x5 index cards. In 1986, I started buying CDs and began writing those down as well.  Here are scans of the index cards for today's records (please note that 45s were not catalogued on index cards):


The six digit number stamped on the back of the card was courtesy of an incremental stamper I got in 1986. I went back and stamped all the existing cards, which were kept in alphabetical order by artist.  Looking at them now, I can see no rhyme or reason to the order I stamped the cards and I have no idea how high the numbers ever got but I have three file boxes full of index cards which I'll be sharing throughout the rest of the year.

The TOTAL TALLY:
records bought: 90
    money spent: $506.03

1 comment:

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd