Day 22


It's worth noting that I attended a concert at the legendary Compton Terrace, just south of Phoenix on this night back in 1985.  In my journal, I wrote how excited I was to see The Firm and wondered if any Led Zeppelin or Bad Company songs would be played.  I did not write a follow-up review nor include any other details such as opening act, my date for the evening or if they performed any of the songs from their old bands.  In addition, it is one of nearly fifty shows I attended that I don't have a ticket stub for.  As this year goes on, we'll witness my gradual decline in listing when music club orders are made but I always documented their arrival and today's shipment was a doozy.  

Columbia House's normal prices (and RCA's for that matter) were a bit above the average retail I was paying and they also padded the bill with shipping and handling.  If you were patient, every once in a while they would have a BOGO (buy one get one free)  sale or even a clearance insert.  Based on the number of double albums in the order and the price paid, I'd guess this was a killer BOGO sale maybe even a BOGT (buy one, get two free) sale.  Eight albums, six of them double diskers and only $28 - that's almost Goodwill pricing.

All these greatest hits albums were cheap and easy ways to plug holes in my collection.  Fast Times, Fame and The River were replacements for albums that may have been surrendered in the heat of passion perhaps even the unfulfilled promise of passion - college women have to build their music collections, too.

Greatest Hits (2LP) - Barry Manilow (1978) 000310
Greatest Hits - Bob Dylan (1967) 000141
Greatest Hits Vol. II (2LP) - Bob Dylan (1971) 000142
Fast Times At Ridgemont High (2LP) (soundtrack) (1982) 000157
Hooligans (2LP) - The Who (1981) 000523
The River (2LP) - Bruce Springsteen (1980) 000447
Chronicle (2LP) - Creedence Clearwater Revival (1976) 000105
Fame (soundtrack) (1980) 000155


Those six digit numbers following the album title, artist and year of release above are from the back of the album's respective index card(s).  

The Manilow, Fast Times and CCR albums still sit on the Vinyl Wall though I wish I still had that sweet Hooligans set.  Don't think it was ever issued on CD so it's the only one in today's bunch I don't have on CD.  Do you think if I close my eyes and click my heels together it'll magically reappear?


Sharp-eyed observers of last post's index cards asked what was up with those penciled in asterisks above certain song titles?  It's not a ranking system though some songs have two  or more asterisks but rather a simple way of keeping track of which songs I had included on mixtapes for my lovely one as I attempted to woo her through the words and musical stylings of others.  Cheap and superficial but it worked; nowadays, instead of mixtapes, she gets custom crafted Spotify and Songza playlists.  By the way, multiple asterisks denote how many times song was used.

The TOTAL TALLY:
records bought: 98
    money spent: $534.03

1 comment:

  1. As a soundtrack fan, I owned copies of both Fast Times and Fame. The films and the music were a big part of my high school years.

    ReplyDelete

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd