Day 80

So ABC went from the sheer synthesized pop perfection of The Lexicon of Love to the I don't know what with real instruments on Beauty Stab the following year so it was with mixed feelings I picked up their latest, How To Be A... Zillionaire!. Was pleasantly surprised, I must say. Not a true return to the form of their debut but packed with all sorts of new sounds and a frantic energy. The song "15 Storey Halo" immediately caught my ear. (Will admit that Beauty Stab has grown on me over the years but back in the day it was such a hard left turn after that magnificent first foray.)

I was little excited on this day back in 1985 because the following night, we were driving up to Phoenix to see Mr. Mister opening for Don Henley at the ASU Activity Center. The former's lush "Broken Wings" was my favorite song at the time and looking back, it was making its Hot 100 chart debut on the chart dated that week. Henley played my solo favorites ("Dirty Laundry", "The Boys Of Summer" and "All She Wants To Do Is Dance") and if I recall, he even did one or two Eagles tunes but don't quote me on that.

How To Be A... Zillionaire! - ABC (1985)


Jim Steinman's work is a love or hate thing - you really love it or you really hate it, there is no middle meh ground. I've always loved his angsty, overblown showtune wannabes and through the years, I have owned maybe ten copies of his monster collaboration with Mr. Loaf. Picked up a used copy today.

Bat Out Of Hell - Meat Loaf (1977)

Of course, there are two copies of Bat Out Of Hell sitting on the Vinyl Wall.  The closest thing to How To Be A Zillionaire, though, is a copy of the 12" single.

Day 81
is
September 21st

1 comment:

  1. Herc, two albums I enjoy quite a bit. Both get a lot of play in my library.

    ReplyDelete

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd