Day 86

The Scritti Politti song was the first I had heard from the act. And it was awesome. Curiously, the Specially Priced 2-Cut Maxi Single I picked up this day has two similarly titled mixes: Way Perfect Mix on the A side and Way Perfect Version on the B side. Both tracks were similar in length as well, coming in at just over five minutes each. A year or two later I would find a promo single with a 7:27 version of Way Perfect Mix. But it's a great song, whether in album version, single edit or one of the three remixes I've listed.

After two very good albums (Sweat and X-Periment), The System had earned the "buy it without hearing it" designation reserved for my favorite artists. I don't remember any big hits from the album but I don't remember not liking it either. Just gave it another listen and it is indeed good stuff, unmistakably The System.

On Halloween Night 1985, I was at the ASU Activity Center watching Foreigner on their Agent Provocateur -wait for it- Tour. At $14.50 a ticket, it was the second most expensive concert I had attended up to that point - by my highly inaccurate hindsight and ticket stub collection, I reckon it was my 41st. Love it or hate it, the highpoint of the show was when a local gospel choir backed the band on an extended version of "I Want To Know What Love Is". Had my best girl (and future wife) with me and my best friend/roommate, who I was just chatting with earlier today about Sturgill Simpson. You remember that song "The Promise" by When In Rome? This new-ish (2 albums under his belt buckle) country artist Simpson (and I use that term in the strictest, purest and truest sense of the word) strips it down to the bone on his new album.

"Perfect Way" (12") - Scritti Politti
The Pleasure Seekers - The System

Neither of these excellent slabs of vinyl are on The Vinyl Wall. <moment of silence>

And the countdown until the end begins...
Only eleven more posts on this site.


Day 87
is 
November 12th

1 comment:

  1. You are right about "Perfect Way" my friend. Think I'll give it a spin now as my copy is on my vinyl wall (or vinyl cubbies, or shelves, or whatever). I like the whole album, but the single is so good, even Miles Davis covered it.

    ReplyDelete

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd