Day 10


*the asterisk was my notation for "shipped separately".  
The album did finally arrive two weeks later, on February 20th.


Exactly four weeks after this order was mailed in, it arrived.  Well, most of it at least.  Funny thing about Columbia House packages back then: at the apartment I later moved into, the postal person would either leave them at the office or leaning up against the door to my apartment.  It's a wonder none of them ever disappeared as it was pretty obvious what they were.

Benatar was a replacement for scratched album and it it remains one of my favorite albums to this day.   With killer tracks like "Heartbreaker" and "No You Don't" plus covers of John Cougar ("I Need A Lover") and Alan Parsons ("Don't Let It Show") and the new wave-ish "We Live For Love", In The Heat Of The Night is a rewarding listen time and time again.

The .38 Special album was a required purchase for the southern rocker in me, if only for "Hold On Loosely" and "Fantasy Girl".  Can't really explain why I hadn't picked it up sooner. Based on the price paid, it looks like Columbia House was having a sale of some sort.

My immediate fascination with the Stray Cats began when they made their American television debut on the October 16, 1981 episode of Fridays.  I had purchased this album once before but needed a replacement.

I'm not as big a fan of Billy Idol's self-titled full-length debut as some people, having left it off my own list of favorite albums from 1982.  But man oh man, I love me some "White Wedding". Idol's next two albums would impress me.

The straggler of the bunch was Lindsey Buckingham's debut solo album.  Purchased solely for the dreamy, gauzy single "Trouble", the album has definitely grown on me through the years.  I will not mention how I had no idea what Lindsey was mumbling at the beginning of that song until a few months ago.
Only In The Heat Of The Night still occupies a place on the vinyl shelf.  The rest of the albums above exist in my collection on shiny silver discs.  Pretty sure I had the first pressing of Billy Idol's album with the unique cover (below); my friend Mark has it.  But I know for a fact that the Columbia House version had the cover pictured above.



The TOTAL TALLY:
records bought: 38
    money spent: $220.50

1 comment:

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd