The Day after Day 12 but before Day 14




So, a little over five weeks after mailing in my reply card, another shipment arrives from Columbia House. And once again, the shipment is a little light.  Two days later, the straggler shows up but it's not the one I ordered.  I suppose it was possible I transposed digits while filling in the little squares on the reply card.  I'd done it before.

Jermaine Jackson's self-titled debut on Arista after his long tenure at Motown featured a few really good songs.  My favorites were "Dynamite" and "Do What You Do".  I ended up buying this same album  again when Jermajesty's duet with Pia Zadora was added to the tracklisting.

The soundtrack to Breakin' was a must buy for three songs: "Breakin'... There's No Stoppin' Us", "Freakshow On The Dancefloor" and "Ain't Nobody".  I'm sure there were other songs on the album but I don't know what they were.

When I discovered the Treacherous Three's "Santa's Rap", I searched for it high and low in every record store I haunted only to find out it was on Volume 2 of the soundtrack to Beat Street just after Christmas.  Made a mental note and somehow remembered to order it when I saw it listed in the Columbia House catalog.  None of the other tracks live on in my memory.

Jermaine Jackson - Jermaine Jackson (1984)
Breakin' soundtrack (1984)
Beat Street Vol. II soundtrack (1984)



Two days after the initial shipment arrived on Valentine's Day 1985, another box from Terre Haute, Indiana showed up in the mail.  Lo and behold, it was not what I ordered: Photographs & Memories by Jim Croce.  Good thing, too, since I had already bought that album back on January 24th.  If the Lord does indeed move in mysterious ways then surely she conspired to bring Sabbath's classic Heaven and Hell to my door.  The album was the group's ninth and the first to feature Ronnie James Dio in place of Ozzy Osbourne on vocals.  It was my second Black Sabbath album after the compilation We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'N' Roll and I'm fairly certain my next album from them would be 1981's Mob Rules.


Heaven And Hell - Black Sabbath (1980)

None of these albums are on the vinyl wall nowadays though all are in the collection as five inch shiny discs.

The TOTAL TALLY:
records bought: 55
    money spent: $305.08

1 comment:

  1. Easily two of my favorite CD reissues of the last year and change are Funkytowngrooves' 'Expanded Edition' of Jermaine's Arista opus, as well as Get On Down's long-overdue reboot of the "Breakin'" soundtrack...

    ReplyDelete

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd