Day 26



Once again, my information differs from what is online:  Wikipedia lists the release date of this album a full three weeks after I picked it up at Zip's in Park Mall on this date in 1985, which I believe was its actual release day.  And I didn't buy it for the title song but rather for the track Prince contributed to the album "4 The Tears In Your Eyes".   The live Springsteen cover of Jimmy Cliff's "Trapped" grew on me as well.  Compared to Band Aid's "Do They Know It's Christmas?" from just a few months prior, I felt "We Are The World" was epically long and boring.  I supported the charity by buying this album and one two three shirts from MTV: a muscle tee with the "We Are The World" 7" single artwork, a regular tee shirt with the group photo featured on the cover of the album and a sweatshirt with the USA For Africa logo.  I wore that muscle tee when I drove more than 100 miles to participate in Hands Across America with a few friends on May 25, 1986, which I recall as just another average 100 degree Sunday in the desert.  I even ponied up for the heavy metal offshoot Hear'N Aid album, mainly to get a live version of "The Zoo".  Heck, I even bought the We Are The World CD when it came out in 1990.

We Are The World - USA For Africa (1985)

Never purchased the single in either format (above) but I still have my vinyl and CD versions of this album.  The Hear' N Aid album, however, is not in my collection.

The TOTAL TALLY:
records bought: 108
    money spent: $578.59

2 comments:

  1. Never owned a copy, mainly because I agree that the song is long and boring. The best part is the bridge (at least the MJ and Huey Lewis parts). I also like how they stacked the deck in the middle of the song: Kenny Loggins followed by Steve Perry followed by Daryl Hall? Are you freakin' kidding me? That's some powerful vocal chops right there.

    The worst part is Cyndi Lauper's off-pitch caterwauling.

    The only benefit album I purchased was Artists United Against Apartheid's Sun City LP. I'm hoping we'll see that one on this blog a little later on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I bought both the 12" single and the album, I'm sure they will show up here but if I recall, they came out late in the year. Even though I ended up getting the CD, I still have both vinyls.

    ReplyDelete

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd