Day 29






Here's another instance of receiving an order from Columbia House that I didn't document at the time of ordering.  These were all more than likely regular-priced and if I shopped around I probably could have saved some dough but 99.9% of the time, record club orders were spontaneous, late night sessions of desire and desperation often conducted on the very same day the monthly selection card arrived in the mail.
  • Sure, by today's standards, Eddie Murphy's two comedy albums are ultra offensive but back in 1982 and 1983, they were the very definition of raw stand-up comedy. Time and a sense of morality has rendered some of the meaner bits unlistenable but there are still a few funny parts to be found.
  • Very few acts were as hot as Bryan Adams was from 1983 through 1985. I had recorded these two albums off the radio (the good ol' Sunday Six Pack where they played six albums in their entirety) and I must have felt that the time was right to acquire the vinyl versions.
  • Wynton?  Yep.  Heard his version of "Stardust" one night in Loco at what seemed like the perfect volume: his tone was bright and clear and just called to me.  Made such an impression on me that I ordered it at the first opportunity.  Never did buy another Wynton Marsalis record, though, which is more of a reflection on me than Mr. Marsalis.
Eddie Murphy - Eddie Murphy (1982)
Comedian - Eddie Murphy (1983)
Cuts Like A Knife - Bryan Adams (1983)
Reckless - Bryan Adams (1984)
Hot House Flowers - Wynton Marsalis (1984)

Only the Bryan Adams albums remain on the Vinyl Wall today.

The TOTAL TALLY:
records bought: 121
    money spent: $653.82

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd