Day 30


I assure you I was not crazy, driving up to Phoenix and buying two very inexpensive records.  My friend Doug and I made the drive up to see Roger Waters in concert that night and since we got into town a little early, we hit a record store somewhat close to the venue.
The show itself was slightly disappointing as we had read that Eric Clapton was going to be on lead guitar but it turned out that was only during the 1984 leg of the tour, Roger's first solo tour. Instead, we got the very competent Jay Stapley, who handled David Gilmour parts nearly note for note during the first set, when Waters performed more than a dozen Pink Floyd classics before an intermission allowed a set change and then Rogers came back out and performed his 1984 solo album The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking in its entirety before encoring with the final two tracks from Floyd's magnum opus The Dark Side Of The Moon: "Brain Damage" and "Eclipse".  (As far as Doug and I can recall, this concert was the only one we saw set up in a highly-touted "quadraphonic sound" configuration.  We don't remember it sounding much different than any other show.)



  • Unlike some people, and despite loving all of her stuff up through 1980's The Wanderer I never cared much for Donna Summer's self-titled 1982 album which came about when Summer's label boss David Geffen shelved her third double album and ninth album overall, I'm A Rainbow in 1981.  (That album was eventually released in 1996 - it was the first and one of the last CDs I ever bought at Best Buy.)  The lone bright spot on the Donna Summer album is "Love Is In Control (Finger On The Trigger)" and it was a nice surprise to find this twelve inch single, with a remix and an instrumental version of the song featuring Ernie Watts on sax, cheap.  Bruce Swedien and Craig Kostich get credit for the remix.
  • My love of Rough Trade's album For Those Who Think Young was first documented here and based on my affection for the music on that album plus the low, low price, I snagged Shaking The Foundations.  I would later learn that this was their third album not their second as I had written; turns out FTWTY was their second album after one called Avoid Freud.

"Love Is In Control (Finger On The Trigger)" (12") - Donna Summer (1983)
Shaking The Foundations - Rough Trade (1982)

Neither record sits on the Vinyl Wall.

The TOTAL TALLY:
records bought: 123
    money spent: $659.10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd