Day 35



Today's trip to Hollywood Records and Tapes yielded another stylistically mixed bag of vinyl in all three formats: 45, 12" and LP.
  • Back on Day 15, I picked up The Firm's self-titled debut album so today I snagged the album's first single "Radioactive" in a 5:52 special extended remix which basically doubled the length of the original song.
  • While I am a fan of Tina Turner's music, I bought the 45 of "Show Some Respect" purely for her live cover of Prince's "Let's Pretend We're Married".  The guy at Hollywood even held it back behind the counter for me as it was the only copy they received.  (The back of the sleeve is pictured above.)
  • I'd been on The Bus Boys tip since their appearance in and on the soundtrack of the 1982 film 48 HRS.  They also cut the rollicking "Cleanin' Up The Town" for the Ghostbusters soundtrack in 1984.  At their heart, they were a smart, hard playing, genre bending rock and roll band that sadly never fully realized their full potential.  I am a big fan of their first two albums - American Worker is the second one.
  • The Blasters rocked as hard as the Bus Boys though they were more earnest in carrying on the music's direct bloodline from 1950s rockabilly.  Non-Fiction was their second album - I had purchased their third album Hard Line earlier in the year - and I was happy to find this one.
  • There are two songs that haunt my mind late at night: one is the Hendrix cover of Dylan's "All Along The Watchtower" and Dylan's own "Knockin' On Heaven's Door".  When I found out the latter was on the Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid album, I purchased it without hesitation.
"Radioactive" (12") - The Firm (1985)
American Worker - The Bus Boys (1982)
Non-Fiction - The Blasters (1983)
Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid (soundtrack) - Bob Dylan (1973)

Only the singles above still have a home on the Vinyl Wall.

The TOTAL TALLY:
records bought: 154
    money spent: $794.74

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd