Day 44



If Loco Records were still doing business today, it would be my favorite record store bar none. Hollywood was closer to my home and I had a good rapport with two of the guys there but Loco just exuded more atmosphere - it was almost like a small house party nearly every night.


  • The Parliament album was found in the cut-out bin.  It was notched, as seen in image above, for nefarious purposes.  Not really - read what a cut-out is HERE.  It was cheap, yes, but it was fairly weak.  All I remember is one of the songs was later sampled for "The Humpty Dance".
  • A far stronger, funkier and certainly vocodier album was Zapp's second effort.  While it lacked the huge hit that was "More Bounce To The Ounce" from the first album, it had two similar sounding follow-ups in "Dance Floor" and "Doo Wah Ditty (Blow That Thing)".
  • My unfortunate fascination with comedic rap continued with The Fat Boys and their "Jail House Rap".  I never bought another Fat Boys record if that tells you anything.  Besides I shouldn't have bought this first record by them.  Still, Buff's beatboxing was on point.
  • Have you ever bought a record to impress someone, usually someone of the opposite sex? That's why I bought the double album soundtrack to the 1979 film Hair - this girl preferred it to the original Broadway cast album.  She ended up going out with some other guy.  C'est la vie.
  • Don't you hate when people brag about their collections?  Talking about how rare or valuable something is? Or how they have every album by an artist?  Like I did in yesterday's post when I said I had every Peter Gabriel album.  In my defense, he did self-title his first four albums and I always thought this one was just an alternate artworked version of his third album; I never bothered to pick it up or flip it over until this day.  Won't be the last time I profess my ignorance...
Trombipulation - Parliament (1980)
Zapp II - Zapp (1982)
"Jail House Rap" (12") - Fat Boys (1984)
Hair (2LP) (original soundtrack) (1979)
Peter Gabriel (aka scratch) - Peter Gabriel (1978)

Only one of these records still has a place on the Vinyl Wall.  There's a close-up image of it above.

The TOTAL TALLEY
records bought: 187
    money spent: $994.58

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd