Day 46

There was nothing quite like coming home to a box of records that came in the mail.  The music club orders took 4-6 weeks to be delivered from the time you sent in your order and there was no tracking - it showed up when it showed up and by the time it did eventually arrive, I had usually forgotten about it.  On this day, a decent sized box of records from RCA appeared on my stoop - an order I had made exactly 31 days ago.


  • My love of Cat Stevens music knows no bounds.  Listening to him since I was a wee lad, on 8-track no less, it was a pretty big deal when I started building my own Cat Stevens library.  First purchase was this one and the second one was Greatest Hits.  Other albums were to follow and if I had my way, Cat would have been in the Rock Hall Of Fame eons ago - he was first eligible in 1991.  At least he's up in there now.
  • 1985 saw me going back and filling lots of holes in what I naively thought was a pretty comprehensive collection.  The Essential Jimi Hendrix double-album filled in one such gaping hole.
  • I had seen Hall & Oates five months earlier and thought it was a really good concert though I wasn't too enamored of their new stuff.  Big Bam Boom was the album the new stuff was on and it was only at the urging of my concert date that I ordered this.  Still not a fan of the album.  (Sidebar: three Rock Hall Of Famers in a row!)
  • Until a conversation with a friend a couple months back, I hadn't listened to 1984 in decades.  I gave it a couple spins and then filed it back away.  Annie and Dave seemed to have disowned it as well.
  • The second Pretenders full-length album had been a favorite of mine since 1981 so I didn't give it a second thought when my precious copy disappeared.  I didn't waste time pointing fingers or flinging accusations, I just calmly ordered another copy.  Looking back, I should have run screaming to the nearest store, paid them twice whatever price they were asking, taken my baby home and played "Message Of Love" dozens of times in a row until I calmed down.  (P.S.: That's four out of five Hall Of Fame acts!  I should be a voting member.)
Greatest Hits - Cat Stevens (1975)
The Essential Jimi Hendrix (2LP) - Jimi Hendrix (1978)
Big Bam Boom - Hall & Oates (1984)
1984 (For The Love Of Big Brother) - Eurythmics (1984)
Pretenders II - Pretenders (1981)

None of today's featured albums are on the Vinyl Wall.

The TOTAL TALLEY
records bought: 197
    money spent: $1061.92

1 comment:

  1. I heartily endorse this RCA order. You and I agree about "Message of Love" - listening to it as I type these words.

    You're absolutely right about coming home to a box of records. These days the boxes are smaller and hold CDs instead of LPs, but the feeling is exactly the same.

    You don't want to be a voting member of the Rock Hall. You're better than that.

    ReplyDelete

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd