Day 54



Got a box from Columbia House with two self-titled debut albums this afternoon.  Both albums replaced cassette dubs.
  • I'd easily rank the Pretenders first album as one of the best first albums by anyone ever.  They emerged fully formed with the musical chops to back up the attitude.  Listening to Chrissie Hynde's latest album (which isn't as bad as it could have been) drove me back to listen to this one.
  • The same cannot be said for Dire Straits debut.  It's telling that I can only recall two titles from the album: "Setting Me Up" and "Sultans of Swing".  Really love the latter one, though.

Pretenders - Pretenders (1980)
Dire Straits - Dire Straits (1978)



I did not note which one of my friends bought this Prince tribute (?) for me but I did write in the journal that it was a gift.  They all knew I was a huge Prince fan and more than a few of them stood with me on a cold morning outside Diamond's department store in late 1984 to buy tickets for Prince's Purple Rain tour stop in Phoenix.  It was then announced at 10AM that the Arizona stop had been cancelled and the closest the tour would come would be Las Cruces, NM.  So we all missed the Purple Rain tour as we did not have the resources or ability to buy tickets for out of state shows back then and the New Mexico tickets went on sale the same day and sold out in hours.

"We Want Prince" (12") - Sexual Harassment (1984)

Dire Straits is not on the Vinyl Wall - the other two records are.


NEXT POST
DAY 55 
JUNE 23rd

1 comment:

  1. Love Chrissie. She frightens me in a sexy way. While this isn't my favorite Pretenders album (that's Learning to Crawl) and doesn't contain my favorite Pretenders song ("Message of Love"), it includes my favorite Hynde lyric: "I shot my mouth off, and he showed me what that hole was for."

    That Prince "tribute" is pretty bad. And sounds more like a Rick James tune than Prince. Still, it's nice to have friends that just give you music.

    ReplyDelete

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd