Day 69

After a nine day absence, I came back buying quantity if not quality picking up seven twelve-inch singles at two different stores.
  • Since I already had the eight minute version of "White Wedding" (which always reminds me of the laser light show at the planetarium my Senior year), I picked up the UK single for the B-side, the so-called Mega-IDOL Mix of three songs. It did not impress.
  • New Order's non-album single "Thieves Like Us" did impress. Still love it.
  • Though they somehow missed the hit medley craze that rocked the charts from 1981-1983, Creedence Clearwater Revival's re-issue happy label (Fantasy) got them in the game piggybacking on renewed interest in the group due to John Fogerty's 1985 solo album Centerfield. While it was better than Sam & Dave's medley, it wasn't all that danceable.
"White Wedding (Shotgun Mix)" b/w "Mega-IDOL Mix" (12" UK) - Billy Idol (1985)
"Thieves Like Us" (12" UK) - New Order (1984)
"Medley from Proud Mary to Up Around The Bend" (12") - Creedence Clearwater Revival (1985)


  • After a classic solo debut with Friend Or Foe, Adam Ant disappointed with Strip and there was no news of a third album... until I saw this single in the bins on this day. Was it a return to form? No, not really but it was encouraging.
  • Another Prince single, another non-album B-side with both tracks remixed and extended to boot. Bought the 45 way back on Day 66.
  • Prince's childhood friend and former bandmate Andre Cymone had launched his solo career in 1982 with a fusion of funk and new wave proclaiming he was Livin' In The New Wave. Cymone continued in that groove with 1983's Survivin' In The 80's before swinging more towards the funk side of his genre mix with 1985's A.C. and the ultra-funky, Prince-penned "The Dance Electric".
  • The only thing I liked about "Don't Lose My Number" was Phil used my name in the lyrics.  Like I could ever lose his number.
"Vive Le Rock" (12") - Adam Ant (1985)
"Pop Life (Fresh Dance Mix)"  (12") - Prince (1985)
"The Dance Electric (Long Version)" (12") - Andre Cymone (1985)
"Don't Lose My Number (Extended Version)" (12") - Phil Collins (1985)

I was as surprised when I checked The Vinyl Wall and found that only two of the above seven are missing: Billy Idol and Phil Collins.

Day 70
is
August 17th.

4 comments:

  1. That sure is a sweet cover on FAC 103.

    I'd like to bash on Phil, but his recent donation of over 200 artifacts to the Alamo prevents it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big of you to refrain from bashing Phil Collins... After all, if Phil can remember the Alamo, can't you at least remember "Sussudio"??

      Delete
    2. I remember "Sussudio." So does Prince.

      Delete
    3. Not sure the little Prince ever had a problem with "Sussudio", but his legion of fans certainly have. "1999" is my favorite song of 1983, and I'm proud to say that "Sussudio" is among my Top 40 of '85; yet I've never held the similarities against Phil. Can't say the same, however, for the blatant theft that Wild Cherry took to the top of the charts in '76. I liked it better when Sly & The Family Stone called it "Thank You Falletinme Be Mice Elf Agin".

      Delete

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd