Day 93

I liked the song "Broken Wings" well enough when I first heard it but sometimes context is everything and after hearing it in a few "more intimate" situations, the song became a favorite. Once my future wife came back into my life, it became our song until Berlin's "Take My Breath Away" came out about six months later and took that title, a title it still holds nearly thirty years later. "Kyrie" was not half bad either but the rest of the album got and gets no love. Nor did any future Mr. Mister projects. Fortunately, I only paid $4.99 for it so it was basically a twelve inch single. However, five or so years ago when I first learned of the duo Pages - Richard Page and Steve George - that founded Mr. Mister, I was immediately drawn to their earlier works: Pages (1978), Future Street (1979) and Pages (1980).

On December 8, 1985, I attended my final concert of 1985.  It was Y&T opening for Heart.

Welcome To The Real World - Mr. Mister (1985)

I didn't expect the album to be on the Vinyl Wall so I am not disappointed when it turns out I'm right.

My second to last Columbia House order of 1985 was made up of the four albums pictured above and described below:
  • Had been a fan of Osborne's voice since first hearing it on 1977's ultra-funky "(Every Time I Turn Around) Back In Love Again" by L.T.D., his former group.  Jumped on his solo career with 1983's Stay With Me Tonight and then 1984's Don't Stop. Somehow I had missed this one, his 1982 solo debut, so I corrected that oversight.
  • The Doors were as hot as they had ever been in 1984-1985 even though their singer had been dead for more than a decade. The record company and the surviving members were scraping the tape vaults with a fine-tooth comb and out popped Alive She Cried, baked from several reels of found concert tapes. I was a fan of the Doors first six albums so I took a chance on a live album. My mistake.
  • I knew nothing about Bob James other than his name appeared in the end credits for every episode of Taxi as the performer of the the show's theme song. I liked the song a lot until I found out it was called "Angela", which is my sister's name. Don't think I ever played any other songs off the album which was made up of incidental music he composed and performed for the show.
  • Thorogood's blues-boogie had been on my radar since the family moved to the Old Pueblo  in August 1981. The first or second radio station I tuned in after we arrived played two tracks from Lonesome George and his Delaware Destroyers fairly consistently after sundown when I tuned in: "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer" and "Who Do You Love". In 1982, he dropped Bad To The Bone and I picked it up cheap at Bookman's. Flash forward to the end of 1985 and my copy of Bad To The Bone is no longer on my shelf so I ordered a new one.

Jeffrey Osborne - Jeffrey Osborne (1982)
Alive, She Cried - The Doors (1983)
The Genie - Bob James (1983)
Bad To The Bone - George Thorogood & the Destroyers (1982)

Only Osborne's self-titled album still resides on the Vinyl Wall.

Day 94 will be December 14th
After that, only three more...

1 comment:

  1. That Bob James album peaked at #5 on the Billboard Jazz Albums chart where it spent a total of 26 weeks. It might have been more successful with better cover art?

    ReplyDelete

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd