Day 23

"Forgive me Father, it's been nine days since I last added to my record collection."


While I started off the year at a pretty good clip, increasing the collection at least once every three days, it had been nine days since my last trip to a record store or a delivery from a record club.  Maybe it was payday but for whatever reason I stopped by Hollywood and walked out with two new discs in my bag.

I had purchased the Bronski Beat album back in January so it was a pleasant surprise to find a twelve inch remix of "Why?", my favorite song on the album.  Later in the year, I picked up the Hundreds & Thousands remix EP which features a shorter (by about a minute) yet more HI NRG and danceable remix of "Why?" by Harvey Goldberg.

No Jacket Required had been released about a month prior but I paid it no mind, having not been impressed with either of the first two singles: "One More Night" and "Sussudio".  My opinion would change when I heard the gentle, chanting "Take Me Home" one night at work while a co-worker played the latest cassette he purchased.    Still didn't care much for the album but it seemed like every other person I knew was out of their damn mind about it.  In a month, I'd line up with dozens of others on a chilly Saturday morning as tickets went on sale for a Phil Collins concert at Compton Terrace on June 1st.  It was the first of two concerts I bought tickets for my folks (the other would be a Hank Williams Jr show) and even a pair for their friends.  Just to be clear, we would be at concert simultaneously but we would not be attending it together - all tickets were general admission, that was standard for all shows at Compton Terrace as there were no seats.  We drove in different cars and didn't even travel together - I think I left later, waiting for my friend Doug to get off of work.  So we get there and at the ticketing gate to get in, there sits my Dad and his friend Greg on a cooler, drinking beer.  They assumed the cooler would be allowed in but it wasn't so the ladies went in and the guys stayed there outside the gate and listened to the show.  They weren't there when we left and it turned out my Mom and Diane (Greg's wife) had left early, helped Dad and Greg find the parked car and they were home almost an hour before we were.  For the record, "Take Me Home" was the final performance of Collins' nineteen song set...  Before an encore of two Impressions' covers.  Just over thirty days later, Phil would perform on two continents in the same day for Live Aid.

Check back on June 2nd (the day after the show when I bought three twelve inch singles at the Record Bar) for image of that ticket stub and any more info if I think of some.

"Why?" (12") - Bronski Beat (1985)
No Jacket Required - Phil Collins (1985)

I no longer have the "Why?" single in my collection in any format but ol' Phil still sits on the Vinyl Wall.  (I do have that second, favored remix of "Why?" on a couple of CDs though.)

The TOTAL TALLY:
records bought: 100
    money spent: $545.25

Stay Tuned:
There are two more posts for the month of March: one on the 22nd and the other on the 30th. 
There will sixteen posts for month of April!!!  (That's one every other day.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd