Day 24


The RCA order made on Feb 22 arrived today.  I had forgotten I had also ordered Eagles Greatest Hits Vol. 2 so it was a surprise when I opened the box.  Another surprise? $2.89 for all four albums works out to be one album for $1.99 plus 90 cents shipping & handling and three free albums.
  • Though it pales in comparison sales-wise to the band's more than 25 million sold first hits compilation, Eagles Greatest Hits Vol. 2 still has sold more than 11 million copies in its own right.  Though I had all the songs to make my own compilation, this album is notable for featuring the single version of "Seven Bridges Road" rather than the album version contained on the Live album.
  • I had attended two Rick Springfield concerts (including the one filmed for his The Beat Of A Live Drum cable special) in a fourteen month span and owned his three Eighties albums so you could say I was a fan of the man and his music.  But the girls in my life during that time were FANS.  I went through several copies of those albums because they kept disappearing along with a piece of my heart.  (Maybe I was spoiled by Diana Benz in the sixth grade because when we broke up, she gave me back all of my stuff - no other girlfriend since then has done that.  In fact, at times I think that is why my wife deigned to marry me - she had so much of my stuff it was just easier to take possession of me completely rather than breakup and give me back all of my stuff.)  Hard To Hold wasn't strictly a Rick Springfield album but it was mostly him soundtracking his first (and last?) starring film role.
  • As big a music fan as I was, I realized there were holes in my collection and when the price was right, I filled those holes.  This Is The Big Band Era was one of those cheap hole-fillers.
  • In 1985 (and 2014), my favorite latter-era Elvis songs were (and are) "Suspicious Minds", "Kentucky Rain" and "Burning Love".  Regrettably, none of them were in my collection until I got Elvis Gold Records Volume 5.  I became obsessed with those three songs to the point that I would use them to pad out the sides of a cassette when recording an album that was shorter than 45 minutes which turned out to be nearly every album.  So after the album's last song there would be an extra five seconds of silence followed by one, two or possibly all three of these Elvis songs.  Pink Floyd?  Followed by Elvis. Prince?  Followed by Elvis.  Even my cassette dub of this album featured these three songs tacked onto the end.  This album was probably the first or second Elvis CD I bought with the other one being The Top 10 Hits.

Greatest Hits Volume 2 - Eagles (1980)
Hard To Hold - Rick Springfield (1984)
This Is The Big Band Era (various artists) (1971)
Elvis' Gold Records Volume 5 - Elvis Presley (1984)





It had been a week maybe two at this point back in 1985 since I had first heard Roger's jamtastic "Girl, Cut It Out" on the Saturday night live mix show on our new community radio station.  I had written the artist and title down on a napkin from work and then left it on my dresser, in the usual pocket dump area.  On this day, while looking for something else, I found it and since I had other business at the mall, I brought the napkin along and asked the guy at Zip's.  The song was on this album but when I played it, it was noticeably different and not what I remembered.


The Saga Continues - Roger (1984)

Sadly, none of today's albums are on the Vinyl Wall.

The TOTAL TALLY:
records bought: 105
    money spent: $557.22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd