Day 28



Have no clue if this was from RCA or Columbia House.  Both carried Asylum albums didn't they?  I had purchased the "Dirty Laundry" single earlier in the year and now the album was in the collection as well.

I Can't Stand Still - Don Henley (1982)



How's this batch from Loco for a varied assortment?
  • "Welcome To The Pleasuredome" was the fourth single released from the band's same titled album.  It had only been out for week or two at this point.  The 12" featured the 9:47 Trevor Horn Remix and non-album cuts "Happy Hi!" and "Get It On (Bang A Gong)".  The last track is "Relax International (live)" which as I recall was pretty faithful to the version we would be treated to in a couple of months.  (More on that in June.)
  • I have been a Rick Springfield fan since I first heard "Take A Hand" on K-tel's Hit Machine album, eagerly buying his 80s perfect pop albums (Working Class Dog, Success Hasn't Spoiled Me, Living In Oz), attending two of his concerts in a fourteen month span and paying good money to watch Hard To Hold, his horrible film debut.  So it was no stretch that I plunked down even more money for his latest effort, Tao.  After that his hot hit streak ended as he focused on family life and acting.
  • Fiona first appeared on my radar after singing the requisite love theme from 1984's No Small Affair.  I bought that film's soundtrack album for that song and this one in particular. When I saw she had an album out, I bought that, too.
  • Purple Rain had unleashed "The Bird" back in July 1984 and though the song couldn't be found on the soundtrack album, it was on The Time's own Ice Cream Castle.  In a bone-headed move, "Ice Cream Castles" was released as first single with "Jungle Love" following a few months later and "The Bird" completed the cycle in February 1985.  In my opinion, a better singles release cycle would have been the reverse.  From 1982-1987, I was in a buy every record even remotely Prince-related mode so this was a no-brainer. The single featured a remixed but shorter version of the album track while the B-side, "My Drawers", my favorite track by The Time, is edited down from the album version by a few seconds.

"Welcome To The Pleasuredome" (12") - Frankie Goes To Hollywood (1985)
Tao - Rick Springfield (1985)
Fiona - Fiona (1985)
"The Bird" (12") - The Time (1985)



  • I had heard the radio DJ introduce the title track to Kenny Loggins follow-up to the giga-selling Footloose soundtrack as "something a little different".  I like it and it still reminds me of both "Footloose" and "I'm Alright".  Picked up the album based on the one track alone which is something I could afford to do back in the day.  Bonus points for having Sheila E. and the Pointer Sisters on the song.
  • Probably my favorite song at this point in time back in 1985 was The Power Station's "Some Like It Hot" which had been released back in early March 1985.  The album came out in late March.  I know I picked up 12" singles for "Some Like It Hot" and the second single "Get In On (Bang A Gong)" later on in the year.  Saw this supergroup in concert in July 1985.  (More on that when we get to July.)

Vox Humana - Kenny Loggins (1985)
The Power Station - The Power Station (1985)



The Henley, Fiona, Springfield and Loggins albums no longer reside on the Vinyl Wall.  Both twelve inch singles and The Power Station album, as well as those two singles from it I alluded to above, can be found on The Vinyl Wall.

The TOTAL TALLY:
records bought: 116
    money spent: $617.68

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd