Day 41



Closing out the month of April with a Columbia House order that came featuring some recent rock radio favorites:
  • Sounding very un-Doobie like, Patrick Simmons launched his solo career with the #30 Pop, #18 Rock track "So Wrong".  A slightly longer version of the song was released as a twelve inch single but I never came across it.  "So Wrong" seems to be one of those polarizing songs where there is no middle ground: people either think it is a good if somewhat dated dance track or a horrible attempt at a dance track.  I am not nearly as enthusiastic about the song as I once was but I still wouldn't mind owning the Dance Mix. The rest of the album features Simmons stretching out with a little help from a few of his Brothers Doobie, even covering a Huey Lewis song and this Philly classic.
  • After Dawn Patrol, their debut LP produced the chugging rocker "Don't Tell Me You Love Me", I was hoping there would more of the same on Night Ranger's sophomore effort and I was not disappointed as the two opening tracks both rock.  There was also a power ballad on the album if I remember correctly.
  • I made due with a cassette dub of a friend's copy of Agent Provocateur for a little over six months.  In fact, I rarely listened to it as I was not impressed with the less than rocking singles that had been released.  Then one day, "I Want to Know What Love Is" clicked and I just got it. The song has its haters and I used to be one of them but I fell hard for this one, even picked up the single of the New Jersey Mass Choir performing the song without Lou and the boys; they are the choir that can be heard on the record.  Also heard on this album are Jennifer Holiday and Tom Bailey from the Thompson Twins.  Though not the weakest Foreigner album, it certainly misses my top 5.


Arcade - Patrick Simmons (1983)
Midnight Madness - Night Ranger (1983)
Agent Provocateur - Foreigner (1984)


Midnight Madness is the only album still on the Vinyl Wall.


The TOTAL TALLY:
records bought: 172
    money spent: $896.89

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd