Day 51




Memorial Day 1985.  Classes were over, finals were taken but grades had not been posted yet.  I drove down to campus to see if grades were posted so I walked across campus to witness the mass exodus from the dorms and see the normally busy University Square even busier.  Still, I managed to snag a few records:
  • The only two Captain & Tennille albums on my shelf until this particular day were the duo's first two albums, Love Will Keep Us Together (1975) and Song Of Joy (1976), both of which stand up to repeated listenings.  Buying the Greatest Hits album, gave me a few songs form their third album, Come in From The Rain (1977).
  • Though their last studio effort had been less than good and singer/songwriter Roger Hodgson had left and released his first solo album only months earlier, I bought the freshly released Brother Where You Bound blindly.  The opening track and lead single "Cannonball" was every bit the epic enjoyment that Hodgson's "Had A Dream (Sleeping With The Enemy)" had turned out to be.
  • I had innocently enjoyed "Walk On The Wild Side" for years but it had only been about five years since someone pointed out what the lyrics actually meant.  Still liked the song but it wasn't until this day in 1985 that I added it to my collection.  Some of the other songs on the album would grow on me as well.
  • Pretty positive I had given my father The Distance for his birthday or Father's Day after it came out but it took me three years to add it to my own collection.  It's a little on the mellow side but I still enjoy listening to it.
  • It had been a foregone conclusion since 1982, that I would buy each and every Prince or Prince related single in whatever format they were available.  "Raspberry Beret" was the first single from Around The World In A Day and it's non-album B-side was the winding "She's Always In My Hair".  
Captain & Tennille's Greatest Hits - Captain & Tennille (1977)
Brother Where You Bound - Supertramp (1985)
Walk On The Wild Side: Best Of Lou Reed - Lou Reed (1977)
The Distance - Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band (1982)
"Raspberry Beret" (45) - Prince (1985)



Two doors down from Discount Music, the end of school year buying frenzy continued at Zip's.
  • I bought the album and the first 12" single so, of course, I was back buying the second single.  But that is where the Power Station loving stopped.  (Temporarily.)
  • As the great urban poet O'Shea Jackson liked to say "It was a good day".  I scored two Prince singles!  I had held off picking up the "Take Me With U" 45 for four months for reasons I can't remember but eagerly snatched it up on this buying trip. Still love the artwork.
  • In a frustrating brilliant marketing move, Madonna's super summer smash "Into The Groove" was unavailable as a 7" single here in the States and therefore unable to make the Hot 100 singles chart.  By slapping it on the B-side of the "Angel" maxi-single, Madonna was able to achieve the first million selling 12" single since 1981.

"Get It On (Bang A Gong)" (12") - Power Station (1985)
"Angel" b/w "Into The Groove" (12") - Madonna (1985)
"Take Me With U" (45) - Prince (1985)

All the records from the Zip's trip are still on The Vinyl Wall while only "Raspberry Beret" from the Discount excursion can claim the same address. 

1 comment:

  1. I owned the first two C&T albums on vinyl. In 2008, I picked up a six disk CD box set of their albums from 1975 to 1980. The first two are still my favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd