Day 57



PDQ would later become my go to store in the late Eighties and all through the Nineties.  They carried promos, CDs, imports, bootlegs, 12", 7", new and used - just about everything.  They got to know me so well, they'd let me behind the counter to sort through all the new stuff that had yet to be filed.  And one day I spent six hours going through their entire 45s section, crate by crate.  The original owner sold it and the new owner changed the name to her own (Sally's Records?) for a few months before reverting back to PDQ but by then no one was buying what they were selling and the store closed it's doors.  I still occasionally drive by the location as the PDQ sign is still up.

On this day at PDQ, I scored these disco treasures:
  • The Jim Burgess Disco remix of Rod Stewart's disco behemoth "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?" (my own lop-sided scan is above) which I had never seen nor heard before.  I have always been a fan of the man and the song and this remix was no disappointment.  (Before you light up the Comments section, I am aware of the Jorge Ben and Bobby Womack connections.  Doesn't lessen my love for the song at all.)  Anyone know if this mix ever made it to CD?
  • Patrick Hernandez's "Born To Be Alive" has been a favorite only slightly less longer than the song above yet I had only purchased the 45 barely more than four months ago, on Day 14 of A Vinyl Odyssey.  Thirty-five years on, the song is still one of a few I rotate through as a morning wake up song.  Nothing but great roller disco memories of this one even before I saw Skatetown U.S.A.
"Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?" (12") - Rod Stewart (1978)
Born To Be Alive - Patrick Hernandez (1979)




My "Roxanne, Roxanne" infatuation came to an ugly end when I picked up this low-priced album.  Even at the low price, it was a rip and I got rid of this album almost as soon as I got it.




Just because I only listed three stops/purchases today doesn't mean that I only made three stops.  If I had the time, I would hit as many stores as I could - I just wouldn't always find something to buy at each one.  Sometimes I would double-back to a store kicking myself for not buying something I wanted in the first place.  Almost without fail, Hollywood was either the first or last stop I made.
  • I was never a big GIno Vannelli fan but "Black Cars" was an about face for him, revving up the BPMs.  The Dance Mix was ever better than the regular song as it had even more stuttering synths and electronic drum blasts.  My friend Mike even commented that Gino seemed to be doing a David Bowie impersonation with his voice.
  • I had been into Weird Al's style of musical humor ever since I first heard him on the Dr. Demento show.  I have purchased all of his albums including compilations and the box set.  Also seen him twice live but I never cared for his UHF movie.  Love his polka medleys and I'm pretty sure this album is the one with "Yoda" on it.

"Black Cars" (12") - Gino Vannelli (1985)
Dare To Be Stupid - "Weird Al" Yankovic (1985)

The Rod Stewart, Patrick Hernandez and Gino Vannelli discs are still on the shelves of The Vinyl Wall.

As this is the last post of June, let's take a look at the numbers above, covering the first six months of 1985:
$1251.68 spent on 238 records for an average of $5.26 each.

Project that out for the rest of the year and I should end up with 
488 total records at a cost of $2566.88.

Spoiler alert: The projections are way, way too high.  I only bought 92 more records during the final six months of 1985 as I spent $445.91 or nearly a third of what I had spent during the first six months of the year.  Things changed and I'll go into more detail as the year marches on.  So yes, there will be less posts, but I will continue up through the journal's final entry which will be on Christmas Day. 


Day 58
is
July 3rd

3 comments:

  1. "Born to Be Alive" is a straight up disco classic and why it isn't included on every disco compilation on my shelves is a mystery. (My guess would be licensing issues, but what do I know?) That song is deserving of it's own post over at My Favorite Decade and I'll make sure that happens.

    Like you, Black Cars reminds me of summer of '85. Here's my Black Cars story, copied from here:

    In the summer of 1985, I was home from college working during the day and trying to enjoy my nights. One night, I was hanging out with a high school buddy (who I'll call Brent) when he got a phone call from another friend (who I'll call Steve) inviting us to a party where we were promised the presence of girls. Lots of girls. What 19-year-old boy could refuse? Brent and I traveled to some local apartments where we met Steve. As luck would have it, we were the only 3 males in a sea of females. I soon found out why - we were at a bachelorette party and Steve was the "entertainment." When he started dancing/stripping, I got uncomfortable and left. The song Steve chose to dance to? Gino Vannelli's Black Cars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first thought after reading your comment was "This guy hates Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?" Which may or may not be true.

      My second thought was "Would he have stayed at bachelorette party if Steve chose to perform Born To Be Alive instead, since he obviously loves that song?"

      My third thought was "What happened to Brent?"

      Delete
  2. Born To Be Alive is a quintessential disco song. I have always loved it!

    ReplyDelete

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd