Day 58

My good friend Doug called me yesterday while I was cleaning out the garage in 102 degree heat.  We've been friends for 31 years now but I don't see or hear from him that often despite the fact that we live maybe three miles from each other.  You see, he has a new life now and I'm a reminder of his old life.  Anyway, I missed his first call and when I called him back, he said he was on third page of epic text to me.  (He uses a Droid.)  I offered to hang up and call him back but he said not to.  He led off with a very flattering "If there is anyone in the world that can answer this quandary, it's you" and proceeded to ask me what the names of the two theaters close to Park Mall were as each of them had been mowed down in the late 80s or early 90s.  I gave him the answers he sought (El Dorado and Buena Vista) and he thanked me and hung up.  I might hear from him again once maybe twice before Christmas when we usually attend a couple of the same parties.  I mention this only because I got no story to go with today's vinyl purchase.


Prince's "Raspberry Beret" was first single from Around The World In A Day.  (I had picked up the 7" single on Day 51 and the album on Day 37.)  The non-album b-side is the rockin' "She's Always In My Hair" just as it had been on the 45.  Both songs were presented on the 12" single as New Mixes with each running nearly three minutes over the 45 versions.  I'm a fan of both songs but forced to choose, the b-side wins this time.  D'Angelo does a killer cover of "She's..." while Warren Zevon and friends from R.E.M., calling themselves Hindu Love Gods do a righteous cover of "Raspberry Beret".

"Raspberry Beret" / "She's Always In My Hair" (12") - Prince & the Revolution (1985)

Still have this one on the Vinyl Wall.

Day 59
is
July 6th

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd