Day 64

There's a classic Dr. John song, maybe you've heard it before:  "Right Place, Wrong Time". Despite my best efforts and my journal and hand written index cards, I made a mistake of the right place, wrong time variety. Back on Day 16 (February 22) of A Vinyl Odyssey, I told the story of how I heard a song in store, asked about it and ended up buying it.  (I know, I know - a lot of my stories are like that.)  True story... just the wrong day.  I corrected that day's album purchase along with its accompanying story and present that story again here, where it belongs.
  • The Jesse Johnson Revue's single B-side was playing when I walked into Zip's. It sounded a lot like Prince so I asked who it was as they were displaying the back of the record's cover (above) on the Now Playing shelf above the cash register because that was what was being played. They told me it was the twelve inch of "Can You Help Me" so I walked over and picked up a copy.
  • "You Spin Me Round" made me wanna give Dead Or Alive another listen after the disappointing KC & the Sunshine Band cover. (Please don't bombard me with comments to the contrary; you liked it, I didn't, we're cool.) There were two extended remixes on the market for "You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)": Performance Mix and Murder Mix. I preferred the Murder Mix as it was less "dubby" and much funner to listen to in the car. Isn't that the criteria for all good dance songs? That they sound incredibly good in the confines of your hoopty?
"Can You Help Me" b/w "Free World" (12") - Jesse Johnson's Revue (1984)
"You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)" b/w "Misty Circles" - Dead Or Alive (1984)

  • With both of these albums marked down to just $2.99, I could afford to take a chance on the Tom Tom Club's sophomore effort, unheard. It's telling that I have no memory of any of the songs, even after listening to them just now.
  • The Funakdelic classic was a must buy. Never having owned it before, the 7" EP was a pretty cool bonus.
Close To The Bone - The Tom Tom Club (1983)
One Nation Under A Groove - Funakdelic (1978)


As you may have guessed, the Tom Tom Club album is only one not on Vinyl Wall today.

Day 65
is
July 21st

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd