Day 32


Stem to stern, this is actually a pretty solid and diverse haul.  Two full-length albums and a pair of maxi singles.
  • My Vision Quest story was previously told here.
  • In the Seventies and early Eighties, I used to spend Summers with my grandparents, alternating between those in Texas and those in Missouri.  The grandparents in Texas worked at the Cow Talk steak house in front of a livestock auction barn. Cow Talk had a jukebox and I was given all the quarters I could ever want to listen to all the music I could ever want.  While you'd be inclined to assume the jukebox was fully loaded with country music, you'd be surprised to learn that it was stocked every other week with a solid variety of pop, rock, soul and country music, thereby helping to form my musical tastes.  By the time 1985 had rolled around, my tastes had grown to include disco, rap, punk and all the hybrid genres that began appearing.  My extensive background in country pop music coupled with new favorites like The Blasters, Hank Williams Jr. and Los Lobos made Jason & the Scorchers and their song "White Lies" leap out at me from the PA system in the Wherehouse on this night and I've been a fan ever since.
  • Jagger's "Just Another Night" featured Jeff Beck on acoustic guitar and this maxi single featured three different versions of the song remixed by François Kevorkian with "additional overdubs" from Arthur Baker. Stylistically, the extended remix fit right in with The Firm's "Radioactive".
  • Sounding unlike anything else, Henley's "All She Wants Do Is Dance" was even more irresistible after John Luongo remixed it for this maxi single.  When someone requests Eighties dance music this remix is usually one of the first three songs I play.
Vision Quest (soundtrack) (1985)
Lost & Found - Jason & the Scorchers (1985)
"Just Another Night" (12") - Mick Jagger*** (1985)
"All She Wants To Do Is Dance" (12") - Don Henley (1985)


As the soft rock kid will attest having driven through just a couple of weeks ago, the Cow Talk still stands alongside the highway outside of Navasota, Texas.  I haven't set foot in the place in 33 years though I have driven by it twice during that time.

Only Vision Quest and "All She Wants To Do Is Dance" still have a place on the Vinyl Wall.

The TOTAL TALLY:
records bought: 132
    money spent: $691.14

***Day 15 - because I simply wrote "Mick" down back on Day 15, I assumed it was the twelve-inch single "Just Another Night" though I couldn't be sure until later in the year because I picked up both the album and the single.  Now I know for sure.

2 comments:

  1. The Soft Rock Kid does attest to the existence of said steak house. It was on the route between my home and college and was routinely passed many times in the mid to late 80s. My last trip through Navasota was two weeks ago and it was still standing then, though I didn't see if it was still in operation.

    On a side note, Linda Fiorentino is yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd