Day 34


The buying frenzy continued for a third straight day (and would continue on for two more consecutive days.  Hint, hint) as I hit three more stores and added ten more records to the tally.


First store: Hollywood Records
  • I remember very clearly not caring for Phil Collins' 3rd album and all the hits it spawned. Yet you'll see I bought every 12" single as it was released and even bought the 12"ers EP which was merely a collection of those 12" singles.
  • How many of you have even heard of Sam Harris let alone his song "Sugar Don't Bite"? He was the grand champion singer of the first Star Search competition back in 1983 which directly led him to signing a recording contract with Motown.  "Sugar Don't Bite" was his first single and it reached #36 on the Hot 100.  Until I looked the song up on Spotify, I couldn't remember a thing about it.  Harris has a unique voice and the song is a pulsing pop song that could have only come from the Eighties.
  • "Don't Come Around Here No More", the first single off of Tom Petty's Southern Accents was unlike anything else he had recorded up to that point, but it wasn't the only surprising track on the album.  The third single "Make It Better (Forget About Me)" was also co-written and produced by David Stewart of Eurythmics (as was the first single) and featured a horn section.  After repeated listenings to the album and seeing the songs performed live in July 1985, my favorites became the very un-Petty like "It Ain't Nothin' To Me" and "Spike".
"Sussudio" (12") - Phil Collins (1985)
"Sugar Don't Bite" (12") - Sam Harris (1984)
Southern Accents - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers (1985)





Next store: Discount Records
  • I'm not trying to be cutesy when I say Vision Quest reignited my interest in John Waite's "Change". The 1982 parent album, Ignition, was being repromoted in light of the song's inclusion on the soundtrack so I picked it up.  Cheap, too.
  • Bought Who's Greatest Hits as my previous Who collection, Hooligans, mostly focused on the band's Seventies output.  There was a lot of overlap between the two albums but the real acquisitions here were "My Generation" and "Won't Get Fooled Again".  Plus it was less than $5.
  • The Donna Summer twelve inch single was purchased solely for the remix of "She Works Hard For The Money" hidden in plain sight on the flipside - it was one of my girl's favorite songs.

Ignition - John Waite (1982)
Who's Greatest Hits - The Who (1983)





Final store for the day: Zip's University Square (literally three doors down from Discount Records)
  • Can't really say when it happened but sometime in my life I heard Rita Moreno singing "America" from West Side Story and it remains stuck in my head all of these years later. On this particular day, senses obviously numbed from some serious record flipping, I finally picked up the album.
  • Living In Oz was yet another Rick Springfield album to fill the hole left when my ex absconded with my Springfield collection.
  • Because I thought it had "Love Will Tear Us Apart" on it is the answer to the Jeopardy question "Why did you buy Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures?"  The only things I can say in my defense is that the tracks are not listed on the album cover and it's a pretty iconic album cover. Had it on a t-shirt before all you posers.
  • I misread "The Driving Beat" as "Driver's Seat" and bought Sniff N The Tears' Love / Action album.  To my credit, it, too, has a pretty neat cover but as you might have surmised, the music sucked.
West Side Story (soundtrack) (1961)
Living In Oz - Rick Springfield (1983)
Unknown Pleasures - Joy Division (1979)
Love / Action - Sniff N the Tears (1981)

What kind of upside down, bizarro world is it that out of the ten records listed today, "Sussudio" is the only one still on the Vinyl Wall?

The TOTAL TALLY:
records bought: 149
    money spent: $772.18

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your voice to the sound of the crowd